About 8 Km north of Noto lies the old city of Noto located on Mount Alveria. Once known as Netum. According to legend, Daedalus and Hercules both visited the city. The earthquake of 1693 totally destroyed the city and the existing town of Noto was relocated to its current location.
This exquisite structure has been completely restored after the collapse of it’s dome. It reopened to much celebration and fanfare in June of 2007 and is now an outstanding example of baroque architecture.
Built in 1838, the Royal Gate (porta reale) is a considered a triumphal arch for the visit of King Ferdinand II of Bourbon and now serves as the grand entrance to Noto. The tower on top represents power, the pelican represents sacrifice and the dog represents fidelity.
Considered on of the most beautiful events on the whole island, it began more than 26 years ago by a group of artists from Genzano. All of the scenes are actually made from flower petals. Held on the 3rd Sunday of May every year.
Built between 1710 and 1791 the largest building in Noto, it now houses the Museo Civico where you can find collections of medieval artifacts from around Noto as well as modern art and archeological exhibits.